Disability Subgroup of the Campbell Collaboration
A Disability Subgroup was established in 2008 within Campbell's Education Coordinating Group (ECG). The subgroup was established following a formal request from John Westbrook, Director of SEDL's National Center for the Dissemination of Disability Research (NCDDR). Dr. Westbrook is a Co-chair of the subgroup; Ralf Schlosser of Northeastern University previously served as a Co-Chair.
The Disability Subgroup has established these objectives:
- To undertake and maintain a series of high-quality and timely systematic reviews of interventions aimed at improving the quality of life and outcomes of individuals with disabilities. These reviews focus attention on substantive disability topics through the summary and analysis of the best available, high-quality research evidence provided through randomized and nonrandomized quasi-experimental designs.
- To establish and maintain a network of individuals with disability expertise or experience who are interested in developing and/or contributing to disability-related systematic reviews.
- To encourage involvement of consumers with disabilities, their family members, and other disability-oriented stakeholders in all steps of the systematic review development process, including the development and dissemination of appropriate user-friendly interpretations of review results.
- To provide training opportunities for interested systematic review authors in the production of Campbell reviews in the disability area.
The Disability Subgroup may become a new coordinating group if there is sufficient growth in interest and production of systematic reviews within the disability topic area over the next several years.
Individuals interested in conducting a systematic review in the disability area are urged to contact John Westbrook. Campbell has many helpful resources that are available to systematic review authors.
The NCDDR offered online training in 2009-10: Conducting Systematic Reviews of Evidence-Based Disability and Rehabilitation Research, building on an online course offered in 2007-08, webcasts, and workshops. For additional information, please contact Joann Starks.
More about the Disability Subgroup:
- FOCUS Technical Brief No. 20 (a publication of NCDDR)
- Education Coordinating Group Newsletter, Issue 2: January 2009
Adapted from: http://www.campbellcollaboration.org/news_/disability_subgroup.php